Whitehawk FC U18 5-2 Lewes CFC U18

Monday 10th October 2016

Ryman Youth League – South Division

The Hawks Under-18s went top of the league after seeing off a battling Lewes Under-18 side 5-2 on a chilly Monday evening at The Enclosed Ground.

The Hawks came into the match on the back of a disappointing defeat to Worthing U18 in the FA Youth Cup and there looked to have been worries of a possible hangover when Callum Keely hit a great cross into the box to find a waiting Joel Daly, who headed past a helpless Jordan Hawkins to give The Rooks an early 1-0 lead. The Hawks however quickly equalised after Joe Bull capitalised on a defensive mix-up to play in George Coltherd-Walls, who comfortably slotted past Lewes ‘keeper Alieu Secka.

Lewes looked to retake the lead on numerous occasions shortly after, with Daly and Alfie Rogers both coming close for the visitors, but it was The Hawks who completed a First Half turnaround after a brilliant ball by Anesu Sisimayi set up Joe Bull who made no mistake when through on goal to give them their first lead of the game.

The Hawks finished the First Half the brightest and their dominance continued after the restart with chances by Coltherd-Walls, Lewis Broughton and Alex Beale coming in quick succession, but it was Coltherd-Walls who got his Second goal of the game after being assisted by an excellent cross by Leon Moore for a 3-1 lead. The lead increased just 2 minutes later after Rooks keeper Alieu Secka fumbled the ball from a corner by Billy Barker and Robbie Keith took the gifted opportunity by smashing the ball into the net to give The Hawks a comfortable lead. Unfortunately, Secka injured himself during the play and he was replaced in goal by Lewes forward Alfie Rogers.

Lewes never gave up however and Hawks keeper Hawkins was well tested by Callum Keely, making a good save to push his goal-bound effort wide. A short-time later, the game looked to be over as Coltherd-Walls was played in by another great ball by Sisimayi to give The Hawks a 5-1 lead, claiming his hat-trick in the process.

In added time, The Rooks were awarded a penalty, which stand-in goalkeeper Alfie Rogers converted, but there was no time left for a comeback for the visitors as The Hawks maintained their 100% record in the league.

WFC U18: Hawkins, Moore, Broughton (Walsh 66), Emberson (Deda 80), Keith, Beale, Barker, Carrie, Coltherd-Walls, Sisimayi, Bull (Bond 74) – Subs Not Used: Waters, Pryor

Man of the Match: George Coltherd-Walls

Goals: Coltherd-Walls 12` 59`,76`, Bull 37`, Keith 61`