Hawks U18s Through To County Cup Final

The Whitehawk FC U18 side progressed to the Sussex Under 18 Cup Final after a dramatic 7-6 penalty win over Pagham FC U18s, after the match finished 2-2 AET, a match which also saw The Hawks play over an hour with just 9 men.

The First Half was a quiet affair with George Coltherd-Walls having the best attempt at scoring, but he turned his effort from 5 yards out narrowly wide of the post. The visitors however took the lead after 33 minutes to put them 1-0 up at the break. The Second Half started uneventfully, however that soon changed after 62 minutes as Striker Coltherd-Walls was dismissed by the referee after an incident. Things went from bad to worse for The Hawks just 2 minutes later as Goalkeeper Jordan Hawkins was also sent off after receiving a second yellow card, forcing Manager Jude Macdonald to put Midfielder Adam Carrie in goal for the remainder of the game.

Having 2 less players than the opposition did not deter the young side as they rallied and started to dominate their opponents, despite a string of refereeing decisions not going their way. That changed just 2 minutes from time as they were awarded a penalty, which James Waters easily dispatched to send the game to Extra Time. Much like in the First Half of regulation time, Pagham again took the lead and were 2-1 up at Half Time. The Hawks didn’t need to wait long after the restart for an equaliser however as Fintan Walsh connected to a Free-Kick to level the game yet again and the score remained 2-2 after 120 minutes.

In the penalty shootout, despite a miss by Lewis Broughton, James Waters, Rob Deda, Anesu Sisimayi, Luke Emberson, Fintan Walsh, Billy Barker and Dom Hemblade were all able to find the target to set up a Final against Newhaven FC U18s.

Man of the Match – Adam Carrie

The Sussex County FA Under 18 Cup final vs Newhaven FC U18s will take place at the Sussex County FA HQ at Culver Road, Lancing on Thursday 6th April 2017 with a 7.15PM kickoff. Further details will be posted closer to the time.