Hawks U18’s Do The Treble!

The Whitehawk FC Under 18 side won the Ryman Youth Cup on Thursday evening at Whyteleafe FC following a 3-2 win over Tonbridge Angels.

The young Hawks failed to come out of the blocks early on, but managed to score after 7 minutes, however Anesu Sisimayi’s leaping header was ruled out as the Forward was well offside. The ball was in the net just a minute later, unfortunately it was Tonbridge who put it there as Whitehawk failed to clear their lines which allowed Liam Smith to smash the ball home. Through the half, The Hawks’ confidence grew and they began to challenge their opponents more and they equalised after George Coltherd-Walls executed a well-timed cross into the box which found Sisimayi in the box, who once again rose brilliantly to head the ball into the net.

The equaliser frustrated the opposition with bad challenges put in on Coltherd-Walls and Leon Moore, but this didn’t deter the young side who took the lead shortly after as the Tonbridge keeper could only parry a Billy Barker shot into the path of Coltherd-Walls, who slotted home from a tight angle for a 2-1 lead at the break.

The Hawks flew out of the blocks at the beginning of the Second Half, surging forward at every opportunity and they were rewarded with a third goal just 5 minutes after the restart as Lewis Broughton scored yet another great goal from 20 yards out, which the Tonbridge keeper could only get a hand to, before it crossed the line. The lead could have been extended further through a penalty, but the appeals were turned down despite the ball clearly striking a stretched-out arm. Tonbridge battled for an equaliser, and they nearly got it after a scramble in The Hawks’ penalty area saw Robbie Keith brilliantly clear a shot off the line. Angels however pulled themselves back into the game as Tommy Chapman managed to break clear of the defence to score and reduce the deficit.

As time ticked by, the game grew cagier with the frustration of both sides becoming apparent with needless yellow cards being picked up by both sides, but The Hawks held on for a priceless victory to add to their League and County Cup victories. The Treble could still become a quadruple and the two sides could still meet each other again in the Ryman Youth League Champion of Champions competition.

Angels: Lovering, Gallifant, Conteh (Bishop 63), Watson, Baker, Adonis-Taylor ©, Smith, Fenton (Cussen 49), Bray, Ikeije (Ghali 80), Chapman – Subs Not Used: Welsh, Pateman

Hawks: Hawkins, Moore, Broughton, Emberson ©, Keith, Walsh, Barker, Deda (Bond 75), Coltherd-Walls, Sisimayi (Carrie 90), Pryor (Waters 67) – Subs Not Used: Hemblade, Bull

Goals: Smith 8`, Chapman 59` (Tonbridge); Sisimayi 35`, Coltherd-Walls 44`, Broughton 49` (Whitehawk)

Yellow Cards: Adonis-Taylor, Ikeije, Chapman (Tonbridge); Keith, Deda, Carrie (Whitehawk)

Man of the Match: Luke Emberson (Whitehawk)